From the President, Justin Milne
At last Sunday’s AGM the following members were elected unopposed to positions on the Committee:
- Captain – Steve Duff
- President – Justin Milne
- Vice-President – Marcus Trimble
- Vice-Captain Women – Anna Cicognani
- Vice-Captain Men – Ben Adams
- Vice-Captain Juniors – Lachlan Andrew
- Secretary – Geoff Rich
- Assistant Secretary – Kristin Moss
- Treasurer – Colin Whybourne
- Assistant Treasurer – Sandy Rourke
- Regatta Secretary – Belinda Brigham
- Two Elected Members – Bob Kelsall (boats and oars) & Heidi Parkes (Learn to Row)
You can see their mug-shots and profiles on the website.
I’d like to thank all of the previous Committee members and in particular those departing having “served their time:”
- Jan McClelland
- Doreen Borg
- Alex Farkash
- Matt Duly
…and of course
Charlie Bartlett, who leaves a fantastic contribution and a unique set of boots to fill.
The Annual Report is now online.
You will see that we had a wonderful year in 2014/15 and that the previous Committee has left the club in great shape.
Next year is shaping to be slightly more challenging financially, due to lower participation in this year’s Corporate Challenge but from a rowing perspective we start with a win under the belt for the JB Sharp, perhaps our strongest bunch of competitors and our sights set firmly on first the Bohemia and then the Premiership point scores.
I wish you all a fantastic racing season.
New Boats and Trailer
Last Sunday we christened two new boats (1x and 8+) and our sparkling brand new trailer.
Pictures of the ceremony are on Facebook.
In June this year, we surveyed the membership. Results are now published here.
Corporate Regatta – We Need You
This Sunday is an important day for the club with the annual Corporate Regatta at SIRC. Learn to Row rowers will also be participating and will be presented with Graduation Certificates during the day.
On Saturday morning, from 10:30, we need club members, especially those who have a medical certificate for Sunday, to donate an hour to derig and load 4 eights their riggers and oars onto the trailer. Steven Duff will be in charge.
The 6 eights going to the event are the Stanistreet, Billy, Barry, Stone, Jaques and Bath. Two of these will already be at SIRC as they will be used on Saturday at the Head of the Nepean.
On Sunday morning we need every available member to be at SICR by 6.30am to get 6 eights ready to go by 7.30am. That means on the water with oars in and bow numbers loaded.
The canteen will be open from 7am for breakfast.
The last race is at midday, once this race is completed we will need to section and load all six eights to be returned to LRC. Unloading at the Shed will be at 2pm for those who could not make it out to SIRC.
Be a star on the day
To make sure we have a successful and enjoyable day we need volunteers for a number of duties. Thanks to those that have already put their hands up, we are still in need of a few more.
- Starter – Charles Bartlett
- Tinny 1 – Skipper – Wade Hewett – Crew needed
- Tinny 2 – Skipper – Onno van Ewyk – Crew needed
- Commentary – Mr Tonsils
- Tower Results and Hooter Girls – Anna Cico, Jen Muller and anyone else?
- Pontoon Marshals – Dan Borgert and more needed
- Maintenance Crew – Bob Kelsall and Russ Smith
- Photographers – Paparazzi are needed! (in the tinnies and from shore)
- Crowd – Everyone else!
New Shed Map Is Coming
After the Corporate Regatta we are moving to the SPRING MAP. It will be posted when you return from SIRC.
Training corporate eights are ‘going away’ and the better eights will be moved to lower, more accessible racks.
What will happen to corporate eights when they return from the Regatta:
- The Billy and Barry should be returned to the higher racks, up in the rafters
- Jaques to the very top rack above the Griffin and Rosie
- Jaques, Billy and Barry riggers will stay taped and go high up in the petrol cupboard.
- The Stone will be retired so please leave it on the old trailer outside
- The Trives and Walsh will move to battle stations.
- The Stanistreet will be moving down to where the Billy was
- BoomalaKKa is going up where the Stanistreet was.
Going the distance…
With Corporates and LTR coming to an end the Club will settle into a more stable training routine with squads for the upcoming Head racing season becoming more settled.
As we did last year, we will be commencing time trials on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to get as many involved as possible. Time trials will be 5km with a staggered start from Long Nose Point to UTS.
More details soon. All welcome.
The impressive work coming from our youth squads as they start to build up the tempo has been noted and it is great to see. We almost look like UTS taking up the bay. Please remember to stick to the correct side of the Bay. Just because other Clubs don’t doesn’t mean we shouldn’t.
Shed Cleaning Roster
A big thanks to Ben Adam’s Squad for keeping the shed and pontoon looking good in August.
Next up for September we have Gordon Cooper and Scott Patterson’s 8 squad.
Our new Men’s Vice Captain will be providing motivation to you throughout the month.
Remember, a clean pontoon and shed floor keep the Captain away!
If you want to row someone has to tow
As I think Jamie Parker MP mentioned when christening our wonderful new trailer on Sunday, boats don’t fly! Those of us who enjoy racing away from the Bay rely on those selfless daredevils who enjoy towing half the shed behind them every other weekend over the racing season.
If you have trailer towing experience and are prepared to offer your services towing boat trailers for the forthcoming season please email Ben Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your details and details of your towing vehicle.
What’s On at LRC
Don’t forget to get you tickets for the Trivia night on Saturday 12 September – friends, family and any other ring-ins are welcome. You can buy your tickets on the LRC Online Shop. You do not need login details to buy tockets.
Start organising your crews for Head of the Shoalhaven, Shoalhaven Sprints and Nepean Regatta and get your entries in. If you don’t know when or how to submit your entries speak with our new Regatta Secretary, Belinda Brigham.
All coaches, there is a coaches meeting on 7 November at 10.30am, look forward to seeing all of you there.
Dates to remember
- Saturday 5 Sept – Head of the Nepean
- Sunday 6 Sept – Corporate Regatta
- Saturday 12 Sept – Trivia Night
- Saturday 19 Sept – Head of Shoalhaven and Shoalhaven Sprints
- Saturday 26 Sept – Nepean Regatta
- 7 November, 10.30am – Coaches meeting