RIP Brian Davis
As published in the notice sent out earlier this week, club hero Brian Davis passed away on Tuesday 7th January, as a consequence of a long battle with cancer.
Brian’s funeral is tomorrow, Saturday 18th January, 2020 at 2:30pm at Rockwood Cemetery South, to be as the president aptly worded it, “an irreverent farewell” to a great, great man who was undoubtedly clubman that all could aspire to be.
Replacing the classic Tuesday Time Trial Twith TJeff, braved by some, dreaded by all, comes the new fad, in a bid to better cater to the short race end of the season.
And so, proudly brought to you by Jeff of Wilshire Printing, comes Wilshire Sprinting.
Kicking off Thursday 30th January, meeting at UTS around 5:30am, for a series of short sprints, likely to the effect of 6x 250m to begin with (long enough to get some work done, short enough so that a wide range of boat speeds can get involved). A couple of squads are likely to bring 8s, so this could serve a strong kick off to get your squad firing for the business of the season.
Row-a-thon for NSW Bushfires
From Daryle Young
We need 30 Rowers on Saturday 22nd February to participate in a Row-a-thon to raise funds in support of Bushfire relief & Wires.
I am writing to all members of Leichhardt Rowing Club with the hope you would consider participating and supporting a Row-a-thon for Bushfire Relief & Wires due to the ongoing devastating bushfires in NSW & Victoria.
This has impacted many of us in some way so what can we do to help? There have been mostly requests for financial assistance from various organisations and therefore to provide the most benefit what better way to help those in need by doing something you actually enjoy or love & that is to row. I need 30 rowers in singles or doubles or pair to obtain sponsorship & row for 2 hours between 6am-6pm. Will also need support of members in tinnies that can provide drinks, motivation or even training during the day .
On a high level it would mean rowers
- Five teams of 6 rowers (2 hr row per boat)
- Each boat being sponsored by friends , family , work colleagues etc at minimum $10.00 per hour
- At approx. 2 hr mark rowers tag next rower in the team
- Location within Iron Cove
- Suggested date Saturday 22nd Feb
- Donations split 50% Bushfire Relief, 50% Wires
If you would like to participate in the row could you please respond by email to email@example.com or text my mobile 0407299029
- 18th January – Brian’s farewell
- 25th January – Small Boats Regatta
- 26th January – Australia Day
- 7th February – NSW Rowing Championships
- 16th February – Balmain Regatta
- 29th February (its one them leap years) – Gold Cup
- 8th March – LRC Regatta
- 15th March – Drummoyne Regatta
- 23rd March – Nationals Week